As Dealflow Manager Africa at Aqua-Spark (Forbes, Impact 50 List) a global investment fund, you make a true sustainable difference and create positive environmental and social impact. Are you our new enthusiastic and driven colleague to extend our Deal team in Utrecht?
Aqua-Spark is a global investment fund, active in food security and ocean conservation, that makes investments in sustainable aquaculture businesses that generate investment returns while creating positive social and environmental impact. The fund is building an ecosystem of small to medium sized enterprises across the global aquaculture value chain to make aquaculture more sustainable, healthier and more accessible for all. You work in a great team, where communication is key! You report directly to the Head of Dealflow.
The Dealflow Manager Africa is the initial onboarding contact for entrepreneurs in Africa who apply to Aqua-Spark seeking investments. You build and manage an extensive pipeline of companies as well as an extensive database with market intelligence. All with a focus on the African continent.
You make sure enough high-quality dealflow is generated by direct outreach to companies, aquaculture experts, going to industry conferences, business competitions and through desk-research and pipeline generation.
You reach out to companies and develop a structural and positive relationship with promising companies in order to identify investment opportunities within the core business of Aqua-Spark: sustainable aquaculture.
You will engage with companies, guide them through the steps involved in the investment process, provide value-added feedback.
Being responsible for the first stages of the investment process, you make a preliminary assessment of high quality dealflow, analyzing the business model and financial model, key markets, etc. and fit with Aqua-Spark’s mission and overall ecosystem.
The Dealflow Manager will collaborate with Investment Managers Africa in maintaining continued engagement with potential portfolio companies in Africa, tracking their progress. You report directly to the Head of Dealflow.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for entrepreneurs in Africa seeking investments from Aqua-Spark.
- Respond to initial investment inquiries and conduct follow-up meetings or phone/conference calls/e-mails
- Build a high-quality pipeline of sustainable aquaculture businesses for potential investment with a focus on the African continent.
- Build expertise around value chain segments, including farming, feed, production- & digital technology, genetics, fish health, seafood consumer trends, seafood marketing & distribution models and more.
- Build an extensive network in the aquaculture industry, including start-ups, corporates, industry experts, other investors, NGO’s, research institutes, banks etc.
- Identify and target investment opportunities and select the most promising companies in the pipeline for potential investment.
- Preliminary analysis of companies, including their business plan, financial model, their teams, key markets, product-market-fit etc.
- Present and advice key findings to the Head of Dealflow and the investment team.
- Work together with Investment Managers Africa on first stages of investment process.
- Build and manage an extensive database with company information.
- Share key industry insights with the larger Aqua-Spark team and stakeholders where relevant.
The successful candidate is able to
- Work together with the team to set the key performance indicators for the potential portfolio companies and monitor both financial and non-financial performance of the potential portfolio investments.
- Build (pro-actively) sustainable relationships with internal and external stakeholders and professionally represent Aqua-Spark at conferences and events in order to connect with and establish relationships within the worldwide Aqua-Spark network.
- Work closely together within the deal team to identify which companies are most promising for Aqua-Spark’s portfolio.
- Keep up to date on information that is relevant to the aquaculture industry and Aqua-Spark’s value chain and develop the skillsets and knowledge to specialize in aquaculture and its (financial) markets;
What does it take to be successful working at Aqua-Spark?
The ideal candidate has a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Business/Finance or similar discipline and 1-3 or more years of professional working experience in a professional position with a similar level of responsibility, for example in impact investing, PE/VC, corporate finance or business development. Furthermore, you have:
- Experience in working with SMEs, preferably with a sustainability, environmental and/or social focus.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, networker, with a high degree of professionalism in English.
- Knowledge and experience of and willing to follow trends and developments in aquaculture.
- Hands-on experience as (Dealflow) Manager in the investment space preferred.
- Experience in evaluating business plans and financial models.
- Experience in supporting and presenting to executive leadership teams preferred.
- Understanding of the global agri-/aquaculture industry with a focus and knowledge of aquaculture on the African continent preferred.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills, including experience with financial modeling.
- Must be proficient in Apple, Microsoft Office with familiarity with databases and excellent IT/computer skills in general.
What’s in it for you?
You will find yourself working in a challenging international environment collaborating with a growing and great team of (international) professionals who value collaboration, open communication and celebrating successes, at a beautiful location in the center of Utrecht, the Netherlands.
- A truly impactful role, making a difference in the sustainable food value chain worldwide, in a great entrepreneurial global organisation that is growing fast.
- Flexible working hours and the option to work partly from home.
- An internal introduction program is part of your onboarding process and there are opportunities for professional development.
- An excellent salary package, including participation profit sharing.
- You will work in an international organization that values inclusiveness and diversity.
For more information or if you want to apply directly, contact Marjolein Jetten: firstname.lastname@example.org