Head of Legal (Utrecht, Fulltime)
AQUA-SPARK SEEKS HEAD OF LEGAL
Aqua-Spark is seeking a head of Legal to head its Legal and Compliance team. Are you a self-motivated individual with experience in corporate law (particularly private equity/venture capital and associated regulatory issues and compliance)? Then this is an excellent opportunity for you!
Aqua-Spark is looking to grow its legal team to meet the legal, strategic and compliance needs of a growing international investment fund.
Aqua-Spark is a global investment fund based in Utrecht, that makes investments in sustainable aquaculture businesses that generate investment returns, while creating positive social and environmental impact. The fund is building an ecosystem of small to medium sized enterprises across the global aquaculture value chain to make aquaculture more sustainable, healthier and more accessible for all.
Would you like to be part of an entrepreneurial team as a valued business partner in a profitable, fast growing global investment fund active in innovative solutions to improve aqua culture? Do you want to play a key role within the team of a high standard environment, and make a true difference in the growth strategy of an organization that globally creates positive environmental and social impact? Then read on for more information.
As our Head of Legal you are responsible for all legal and governance/compliance affairs of Aqua- Spark. You lead the legal team, including the documentation required to facilitate global investments, and ensure that Aqua-Spark operates within the law at all times. The role includes providing legal counsel to the Managing Partners, Advisory Board and (senior) Management on legal issues; high quality advisory support on investment, contractual, governance, financial, regulatory, HR and general matters; and facilitating business strategies development by advising on legal and compliance matters. In addition the function is an effective guardian of the organisation.
You will have the following responsibilities:
- Providing high quality advisory support on a proactive basis to Managing Partners and teams on contractual, governance, financial, regulatory, HR and general matters;
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements (i.e. shareholder, subscription, convertible loan and other investment-related documents), NDA’s, and contracts with vendors, suppliers, and other companies on behalf of Aqua-Spark;
- Support management and business in overseeing, managing, delivering and conducting legal and compliance affairs and providing legal services, solutions, resources and measures on important legal matters to accomplish Aqua-Spark’s goals, strategies and priorities, including working within a budget to hire and manage outside counsel;
- Ensuring compliance with relevant rules and regulations (both Dutch and European but also related to investors and portfolio companies, which are worldwide) across all Aqua-Spark activities and jurisdictions and limit risk exposure for Aqua-Spark (and its portfolio companies in relation to the business);
- Advising/supporting the Managing Partners and other (senior Management) on a variety of issues, incl. legal aspects of business development;
- Advising/supporting the HR Director in all legal matters relating to HR;
- Establishing and maintaining a professional legal archive system;
- Keeping track of budget and different legal advice and leading the development of a legal handbook, especially as the fund grows; and
- Managing the Legal Counsel of the Legal department.
- Post / university studies in law (Master’s/JD) with focus on commercial law;
- 10 or more years of relevant legal experience;
- 3 or more years of relevant experience in a professional position with a similar level of responsibility in a legal/financial organization, gained in private practice and/or as in-house counsel in an international environment, including management experience (both with direct reports and of outside counsel);
- A solid basis in contract law, corporate law and compliance for fund/financial institutions;
- Experience drafting and reviewing legal documents in English;
- Familiarity with legal, operational, financial, quality assurance, and human resource procedures and regulations;
- Experience overseeing a departmental budget and mastery of strategies to stay within budget while overseeing outside providers, including external counsel;
- Experience supporting executive leadership teams.
- Excellent written and strong oral communication skills with a high degree of professionalism in English and preferably Dutch and a third language;
- Strong negotiating skills and decision-making skills;
- Experience providing legal services in a venture capital/private equity investment context, with familiarity of standard documents and provisions therein;
- Preferred knowledge of Dutch commercial and tax law;
- Previous interaction with the AFM and familiarity with its regulations (including AIFM) preferred;
- Familiarity with Dutch and EU regulatory frameworks, such as privacy and GDPR preferred;
- Experience drafting internal organizational policies and implementing employee trainings and internal compliance;
- Understanding and/or interest of the global aquaculture industry.
- You are willing to put in the time required to meet tight deadlines with a polished and accurate work product.
- You can synthesize and then clearly explain complicated topics, including risk analysis and mitigation strategies.
- You have a teamwork mentality and are willing to do the tasks required for the organization’s overall success.
- You are self-motivated and able to multi-task and keep track of (and meet) deadlines.
- You have experience leading projects and are comfortable working and finding answers independently.
- You are a clear communicator and able to work well in collaborative and international environments.
In the center of Utrecht. In a beautiful building you will be working with an inspiring team.
The correct candidate will have an excellent salary package with attractive secondary benefits and a truly impactful role within a great entrepreneurial and global organisation which is growing fast. We are looking forward to receiving your application!
For more information or if you would like to apply directly, please contact Marjolein Jetten or apply directly: HR(@aqua-spark.nl